(not just a) MommyBlog (dot com)

And Scheming Some More

April 27th, 2008

Today I asked Casey what he thought about my hopes for the birth of this little one.   I wanted to make sure that he was “on board” so that we didn’t find ourselves at the hospital with two different game plans, should I go into labor early.   He actually trumped me one, and suggested that we consider really doing our research, get all the facts, and then re-consider the scheduled c-section.  

My next OB appointment is in two weeks, and I’m going to call tomorrow to reschedule it to a time when Casey can be there.   We’re going to put together a list of questions and concerns and seriously talk to my doctor about the possibility of having a VBAC.   He may talk us out of it, and in fact, I know that he’s not a fan of it, but I want to dig a little deeper and find out why.   From what I’ve read statistically, a VBAC is often safer than a scheduled second c-section, so I wonder why so many doctors and hospitals don’t allow or support them.   I’ve read  it’s because of malpractice scares, but it doesn’t all add up.    

Of course, if you read about anything on the internet long enough, you will be scared witless.   After two hours of reading and research tonight, I’ve decided that it’s too risky to have either a VBAC or a repeat c-section, and therefore will be keeping the baby safely in-utero until he or she is ready for college.

Please keep the comments coming on this… I’d love to hear more from you mommies out there who have been through this.   Have any of you had a successful VBAC?   Have any  of you attempted on, and had a c-section anyway?   Has anyone encountered a hospital or OB practice that won’t allow them, and do you know why?   I’m eager to hear your feedback!  

(Note: Please no super-scary stories, though, or urban legends, or tragedies that happened to someone you know… I am a fragile, hormonal  pregnant woman!)


  1. Julie says

    I can really sympathize with you! I had a C-Section with my first baby because he was breech, and now I am also considering both options of a repeat C-Section and a V-BAC (I am 25 weeks). I’m also a labor and delivery nurse, so I have seen both sides play out in real life situations. It is frustrating to find that there doesn’t seem to be a clear-cut “safer” option. In my experience working in the hospital, there were rules surrounding V-BAC labors that were enforced by the hospitals such as not administering any labor augmenting drugs (Pitocin) at any time, and also that the doctor had to be “in house” for the entire labor process. This may be what often contributes to the way the doctors tend to try to talk their patient’s into the C-Section. From their perspective, it is just more convenient. But they aren’t the ones who will be dealing with the two-year-old bouncing on their incision when they leave the hospital! I hope this helps a little… I look forward to hearing how your appointment goes.

    April 27th, 2008 | #

  2. julie cortez says

    I have never had a c-section but wanted to let you know I will be praying for your family, over here in California as you go through this and may the lord let you know his plan for your new baby. :mrgreen:

    April 27th, 2008 | #

  3. Melissa says

    I have three little ones (5, 2 and 2 weeks) and all were c-section. The first, I went into labor with and ended up with a section because she was so big. I’m rather petite and apparently small “down there”. 😉 My OB would not consider a VBAC, so…there you have it. I was fine with it as I was able to experience labor and, although it is natural to have a baby vaginally, I am not sure I want to! 😆 I can tell you, that with each section, the recovery has been easier and easier, but still not so fun!
    I do know several people that have had successful VBACs after one, two, even three babies. Good luck with your OB visit. I hope that it turns out exactly how you want.

    April 28th, 2008 | #

  4. Erin says

    A very good friend of mine has a 3 year old delivered by c section and just had a baby in January. She had great success having a VBAC. They can’t give you pitocin because of the risk of the uterus rupturing. So, if you decided to do this you would have to be all on your own as far as progressing in labor. It is risky, but a lot of people have successful VBAC’s! Also, I HATE this thought but the hospital and doctors make more money from a C-Section…. All of childbirth is a risk, so the best thing to do is what your doing weigh your options and pray about it. I will also pray for you. I have had 2 vaginal deliveries with great success. Best of luck to you!

    April 28th, 2008 | #

  5. Jen says

    I too ended up with a c-section with #1 and a VERY painful recovery b/c the c-section was after 11 hours of hard contractions. I did my research when I got pregnant with #2 and decided to schedule my c-section and the recovery was SOOOO much easier. I literally walked the entire National Zoo with a toddler and the infant in stroller 5 days after the c-section with no pain. I think there were several contributing factors, largely that I already had a scar and didn’t labor to then be cut open again. For these reasons, I’m pro repeat c-section. I’m not saying this to scare you or to start a debate, but for me personally, I already had one scar on my stomach and didn’t want any other scar elsewhere (many friends had to get episiotomies–yes I know many don’t need them but I was scared). And to be totally fair of where I’m coming from, I was scared of laboring and then having the doctor say, we need a c-section,…the baby needs to get out.

    With this said, it is a personal decision based on your experiences and your beliefs and fears. Best wishes.

    April 28th, 2008 | #

  6. kristjana says

    Keep these comments coming! I have my doctor’s appointment to discuss my options next Monday… the more I know ahead of time, the better. I’m still really up in the air… It does make sense that a c-section w/out labor would be an easier go than an emergency one after laboring (which is what I did with Kenny)…

    April 29th, 2008 | #

  7. Jen Wells says

    Hi Kristjana- i have periodically been reading your blog ever since i saw your mom a couple years ago when we were back in Annapolis and she told me about it. I’ve loved hearing about Kenny and how you guys are doing and have no idea why i havn’t commented before but i guess i have some experience on this c-section subject! I also had an emergency c-section with our first almost 6 years ago, then had a scheduled c-section alomst 3 years ago with our 2nd. And, now we are having our 3rd in Oct. and i am planning another c-section. From all the Drs. i have talked to, a big factor to consider is the reason for the 1st c-section. For me, i labored for 14 hours with contractions 1-3 mins. apart and never progressed beyond 3 cm. The baby’s heart rate started dropping with each contraction so they wanted to get the baby right out. So, all the Drs. i have talked to about it have said that it is very likely that my body would respond the same way to labor and i would end up in a c-section again. The things about the money and all bother me too but i have been very happy with our decision and i COMPLETELY agree that the 2nd section recovery was WAY easier than the 1st! All this to say, yes, it is such a HUGE but personal decision and the factors will be different for everyone. Just be confident in whatever you choose- the best part is the miracle that you are bringing into the world!

    April 29th, 2008 | #

  8. Jen says

    Hi! I had a CS with my daughter and had a homebirth VBAC with my son 3.5 years later. My VBAC was so incredible. Such an incredible sense of accomplishment. Some info:

    My whole story can be read here: http://www.vbacfacts.com/hbacbirth
    Why I chose to “HBAC” here: http://www.vbacfacts.com/hbac
    The real deal on OBs here: http://vbacfacts.com/2008/04/13/the-three-types-of-care-providers-amongst-obs-and-midwives/
    A letter written by two OBs supportive VBAC and opposing a VBAC ban: http://vbacfacts.com/2008/04/14/two-doctors-respond-to-the-hastings-indian-medical-center-vbac-ban-and-encourage-native-american-women-to-vbac/

    Best of luck with your decision!

    April 30th, 2008 | #

  9. Debbie says

    Hi…I came across your blog when searching for blog banners (as I would like to make my own)… anyway, I’m a mom of 2 wonderful boys (Cullen will be 3 in June and Cade is 16 mons). My sister’s first baby (he’s now 16) was delivered via c-section and then she her next 3 babies were VBACs (plus they all had to be induced). Cullen was delivered after hours and hours of labor and almost 3 hours of pushing. The poor little thing was face up and couldn’t make it through the birth canal. I unfortunately couldn’t have a VBAC…it was a bit too risky since my uterus is shaped more like a T than an upside down pear. I so desperately wanted to try but my husband was too afraid.

    Good luck to you and your family on a wonderful birth experience (no matter which way he or she comes, it will be an absolute blessing!) If it is a c-sec, recovery the second time around was alot easier:)

    May 8th, 2008 | #

Leave a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.



© 2006 Mommyblog.com